Monday, February 9, 2015

Belittle Me This: Kindness as a Facade

Question of the Day: When did belittling others become society's latest trend?

I believe it's safe to admit that today's society no longer cares for other's feelings. It has become routine to belittle others for the way they speak, what they wear, or how they choose to display themselves. It has become so easy to judge someone because of how they choose to live versus how society would like them to.

It has become the age of conforming in such a way that one believes they are not conforming. There is no longer a difference between someone who lives for society's acceptance and someone who behaves in such a different way that society addresses them as someone who is non-conforming solely with the intention of conforming.

It is rare to find someone who is solely different for the sake of being themselves. This comes from the fact that society mocks those who choose to be themselves. If you don't fit in and you do something out of line, you are the one who is wrong. It is so easy to lay claim to the fact that being just like everyone else is right, because it's safe. 

It'd be so easy to lie and say that I deliberately do not conform, however, I do fall into the depths of conformity. I am so obsessed with fitting in because I am terrified of standing out. I've constantly watched people just be themselves, and be ridiculed for it...

So my faith in people has start to dwindle.

I've done it too. I'm sure you have as well. It's human nature to adopt other's habits, so watching someone else ridicule someone for a specific behavior will cause us to do the same. It's easy to lay claim to the fact that we wish we could say that we would never make fun of someone for simply being themselves, but in the moment, when other people are... we conform.

I'm feeling lost. I'm feeling confused. I'm feeling ashamed.

Why is kindness so taboo?

All I want to hear for once is: "You're okay. Don't worry about what society thinks, you are okay."

And to have someone truly mean it.

Stay Golden.

Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment